Last year while huffing up a climb on the “Ball Mauler” ride, we brainstormed up a “sister” ride and this year it’s happening! The “Kitty Krusher” ride is June 10th! It’s about 69 miles and climbs around 6900′, going up and over the Santa Cruz mountains and back again. It is not an official or “organized” ride. It is unsupported—a ride-your-own-adventure type of thing. Just show up and pedal. Bring a friend or two and join the fun. We hope to get lots of ladies out on the ride to explore some special climbs. Dudes are welcome too.
- Saturday June 10, 2017, 9:00 AM departure
- Starts at Caletti Cycles World Headquarters – 104 High Road (not High Street), Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- Self-supported : bring a map/directions, food, water, etc. (refuel in Saratoga or Los Gatos – we’ll ride right through downtown)
- We aim to roll out together, but some riders will get frisky and we expect the ride to separate into smaller groups as we go.
- Downtown Los Gatos is a good spot to stop for snacks and drinks, and maybe regroup a bit before we climb back over the hill
- It’s a road ride, with a little bit of smooth dirt. Road bikes are a fine tool for this adventure (or Adventure Road or Cross bikes)
- It will likely be H O T on the second big climb up Montevina Road.
- The descent off that mountain is technical and treacherous! Use some caution, don’t crash now; save yourself for enjoying an Affogato in Los Gatos.
- There are many options in the neighborhood for refueling after the ride. Top picks: New Leaf grocery store, Verve Coffee, Companion Bakeshop, Santa Cruz Mountain Brewery, Humble Sea (beer and a little food), La Cabana taqueria, Kelly’s Bakery and Cafe (sandwiches, etc.)
(Shorter Option: After the first major climb, up Mountain Charlie Rd, you can cut out the next 2 climbs by riding South on Summit Road to rejoin the route and descend Soquel-San Jose Road back towards Santa Cruz.)
Ride hard, have fun, be safe, enjoy your new friends, eat well….
Ride with GPS route here